Surgical Technologist/LPN Scrub Nurse
Surgical Technologist/LPN Scrub Nurse
North Platte Surgery Center
SUPERVISED BY: Director of Nursing
EMPLOYEES SUPERVISED: None
OR Charge Nurse
EFFECTIVE DATE: 05-2003
1. JOB SUMMARY:
A. Under the supervision of the registered nurse the surgical technologist/LPN scrub nurse, scrubs for surgical and procedural cases and demonstrates competence while functioning as a member of the surgical team.
B. The employee is required to follow the surgery center rules, policies and procedures, as well as any applicable laws and standards.
C. Supports the philosophy, objectives, and goals of the surgery center.
D. Supports and participates in quality improvement activities.
E. Provides appropriate care needed by the patients in the groups identified below if applicable:
Check all ages that apply to the scope of services for this position
Infancy 0-1 year
Toddler 13 months to 2 years
Preschooler 3-5 years
Elementary School 6-11 years
Adolescence 12-17 years
Young Adulthood 18-40 years
Middle Adulthood 41-64 years
Late Adulthood 65 years and older
2. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
A. Interpersonal Skills
1. Maintains professionalism in behavior and appearance.
2. Communicates effectively and openly in a courteous manner.
3. Attends and participates in staff meetings and inservices.
4. Channels suggestions, criticism and questions to appropriate personnel.
B. Critical Thinking
1. Reports variances in a timely and accurate manner.
2. Maintains patient and surgery center confidentiality.
3. Demonstrates punctuality in arrival and departure, flexibility in scheduling and compliance with break and meal times.
4. Reviews departmental policies and procedures.
5. Responds appropriately during fire, disaster, emergency drills and events.
6. Reports unsafe equipment to supervisor.
7. Participates in quality assessment and evaluation.
8. Anticipates surgeon needs during procedures and demonstrates preparedness to handle emergency or unexpected situations.
1. Performs team functions under the supervision of a registered nurse.
2. Prepares supplies, instruments, equipment, and rooms for procedures.
3. Recognizes safety hazards and initiates appropriate measures.
4. Assists the circulating nurse in set up and opening for each procedure.
5. Checks physician preference cards and ascertains that supplies and instruments are ready and available for procedure.
6. Has knowledge of sterile processing procedures.
7. Protects sterile field from contamination, identifies breaks in sterile technique and reports to team members.
8. Keeps track of instruments, sharps, and sponges throughout the procedure, performing accurate counts.
9. Assures instruments are correctly assembled, in good working condition, and reports malfunctioning instruments to supervisor.
10. Assists other team members with gowning, gloving, and draping.
11. Assumes responsibility for handling specimens.
12. Checks medications for outdates, labels all medications on sterile field, provides surgeon with a description of these immediately prior to use (name, dose, strength, etc.).
13. Applies dressings, cleans patient wound areas of prep solutions/blood.
14. Assists in patient transfer from OR table to cart.
1. Reports need for service/repair to supervisor.
2. Demonstrates competency.
3. Practices universal precautions
3. MARGINAL FUNCTIONS:
A. Computer skills.
B. Stocking supplies
A. High school graduate required.
B. Completion of surgical technologist or licensed nursing program desirable.
A. One year previous scrub experience preferred.
6. SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
A. Must be able to organize and prioritize work.
B. Demonstrates good guest relations with others.
C. Assists materials personnel and surgery technical assistants, and sterile processing personnel with duties as needed.
D. Good interpersonal skills and ability to perform a variety of tasks.
E. Operate equipment, ability to work under time constraint or in emergencies.
F. Ability to manipulate small objects accurately and quickly.
G. Must be able to work with hands in turning and placing objects in space.
H. Must be able to identify and distinguish color.
7. CERTIFICATION ETC:
A. Certification as surgical technologist preferred.
B. BLS certification required.
8. PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
A. Stands or walks seven hours per day, sits up to one hour per day.
B. Lifts instruments, supplies, equipment, pushes/pulls patient carts.
C. Must be able to work entire scheduled shift.
D. Visual acuity and manual dexterity required.
9. WORKING CONDITIONS:
A. Exposure to blood and body fluids, contagious diseases, hazardous chemicals, dangerous fumes, radiation and medical gasses.
B. Must be adaptable to changes in normal work hours, ability to stay late and work extra shifts if necessary.
C. Must be able to adapt to cool or warm and noisy working conditions.
D. Able to lift/carry up to approximately 30 pounds.
10. PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITIES:
A. Any job you can meet the qualifications of.
The surgical technologist/LPN scrub nurse is classified as a non-exempt employee and is eligible for overtime pay according to the provisions stated in the surgery center's personnel policies. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and working conditions for the persons so classified. An employee may be assigned or requested to perform other related duties.