Automotive/Diesel Mechanic #02702498
Automotive/Diesel Mechanic- Hiring Bonus & Tools Provided!
See Position Description
North Platte, NE
PERM FULL TIME
Department of Transportation
Do you like solving a wide range of mechanical problems? Are you looking for new challenges? How does a $4,000* hiring bonus sound? As a Diesel Technician at the Nebraska Department of Transportation, you'll be part of a supportive team that takes great pride in ensuring equipment is on the road, where it belongs, to help support the wonderful freedom of travel throughout the State of Nebraska.
The Nebraska Department of Transportation (NDOT) is seeking a dedicated and hardworking team player to join us in our mission to enhance the quality of life for Nebraskans by building and maintaining a convenient, safe, and innovative statewide transportation system!
We reward our employee's hard work with a friendly and supportive work environment and a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
• State-matched retirement contribution of 156%!
• 13 paid holidays
• Generous leave accruals that begin immediately
• A culture that embraces work-life balance
• Military leave
• Tuition reimbursement program
• Dependent tuition reimbursement program with partnering Nebraska community colleges
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) through the Federal government
• 79% employer paid health insurance plans
• Dental and vision insurance plans
• Employer-paid $20,000 life insurance policy
• Wide variety and availability of career advancement as the largest and most diverse employer in the State
• Opportunity to be part of meaningful work and make a difference through public service
• Training and development based on your career aspirations
• Job security and stability, even during times of economic hardship
• Employee Assistance Program
• Fun, inviting teammates
Pay rate of $18.973
Please reach out to Heather Vieth, Talent Acquisition Partner, at 402-326-2370, if you have questions or to learn more.
Location: North Platte District Mechanic Shop
Examples of Work
• Perform highly skilled and complex diagnosis, maintenance, and repair of multiple makes and models of heavy-duty trucks, and road construction and maintenance equipment containing multiple, computerized systems/sensors, as well as medium and lightweight vehicles, and other motorized equipment.
• Fabricate and repair equipment and parts by using a variety of welders, welding materials, and methods to adapt incompatible parts, replace unavailable parts, secure attachments, and repair damage.
• Calibrate various systems on heavy-duty vehicles and equipment that distributes various materials as they pertain to road and weather conditions and allow operators to drive the vehicles and equipment safely and efficiently.
• Inspect new equipment to ensure that it meets specifications and set up new equipment to ensure it is road ready.
• Evaluate equipment to identify adjustments needed to accommodate auxiliary attachments, equipment, and operating systems. Install, troubleshoot, repair, and replace mechanical, electrical, computer, and hydraulic system components to restore equipment to a state of safe and operational state.
• Maintain hydraulics systems; install and monitor electrical systems; repair steering systems; repair suspension systems, brake systems, drive trains, fuel systems, and repair/overhaul and/or replaces diesel and/or gasoline engines.
Qualifications / Requirements
REQUIREMENTS: Practical work experience performing automotive/diesel maintenance and repair, including use of computerized diagnostic instruments and equipment OR post high school vocational or technical coursework in automotive/diesel mechanics including instruction in computerized diagnostic equipment and in automotive/diesel mechanical maintenance and repair practices, equipment, and technologies.
PREFERRED: A degree in Automotive Diesel Mechanics, with experience in the repair of trucks or heavy equipment. Experience in welding and fabrication. Basic computer experience. Possess or be able to obtain a Class A CDL within 6 months of hire. Costs to obtain the permit will be covered by the department.
OTHER: Must be able to be reached and report to work for emergencies and snow removal within 30 minutes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
May perform maintenance activities within the 14 counties located in West Central Nebraska. This vacancy is located in North Platte at the District Mechanic Shop; but, work functions may require assignment within the five Superintendents' area of District 6. Because of this must be available for out of town travel for extended periods and may be on "On Call" status.
NDOT encourages applicants of all ages and experiences.
*Conditions apply to receive the full hiring bonus.
Nebraska State Government
1526 K Street, Suite 100
Lincoln, Nebraska, 68508