Revenue Agent #202206946
SALARY: $17.39 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 01/05/23
CLOSING DATE: 01/23/23 11:59 PM
JOB TYPE: PERM FULL TIME
LOCATION: See job description
DEPARTMENT: Revenue Department
**The Department does not sponsor non-immigrant work visas for this position.**
Do you have a passion for customer service? Are you an organized individual? Are you looking for a job with great benefits? Our mission/vision at the Nebraska Department of Revenue (DOR) is to serve the public by administering the state revenue laws with integrity, efficiency, and consistency. Our culture allows for you to have a work life balance, with no on-call shifts, no nights, and no weekend hours. DOR offers a flexible schedule with start times that meet your family's needs, and the ability to telework part time after successful completion of probationary period! If this is what you are seeking, then DOR is the place for you!
DOR offers 13 paid holidays a year, retirement contributions, 12 sick days a year, 12 vacation days a year! We offer competitive health insurance benefits, life insurance and an employee assistance program. We also invest in our staff's development and offer Linkedin Learning Subscriptions to our staff. We have on the job training and support through the Senior Agent and Supervisor. DOR also offers opportunity for advancement, as your knowledge, and skills increase this allows additional opportunities to open up at DOR.
DOR is seeking a self-motivated individual to join our team as a Business Tax Collections Agent. These individuals will carry a caseload of accounts that are delinquent in either their filings or payment of tax liabilities. The Agents role is to help the Taxpayer correct these delinquencies in a variety of ways. This person will learn how to answer complex taxpayer questions with regards to Nebraska regulations, statutes, forms, refunds or questions on getting licensed with DOR for a permit.
North Platte or Lincoln. Remote work a possibility.
40 hrs weekly
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
1. Answers simple to complex taxpayer and taxpayer representative questions regarding Nebraska tax program regulations, rulings, statutes, forms, and processing procedures as well as simple or complex questions regarding a taxpayer's specific tax returns, account, refund, tax liability, or licensing applications. Answers are provided by phone, email, letter, and personal contact. Answers are either given from the agent's extensive knowledge of the tax program or may require extensive research of the Department's records of the taxpayer's accounts /returns or interviews with taxpayers or their representatives.
2. Assists and educates taxpayers in the preparation (electronically and by paper) of tax returns and payment of taxes by phone, email and personal conduct.
3. Manages a caseload of individuals or businesses that are delinquent in the filing of a return or payment of a tax liability.
4. Contacts individuals and businesses by phone, email, letter, or personal contact to notify them of the delinquency, explain the action they must take, and explain the consequences if the action is not taken.
5. Follows up with individuals and businesses if delinquency is not resolved and initiates additional action such as payment plans; recording tax liens; issuing levies on employers and financial institutions; issuing writs of seizure; permit/license revocations; and subpoenaing records to establish responsible officer and successor liability.
6. Prepares supporting materials for license revocation or protested assessment hearings and testifies for the State at the hearing.
7. Manages and maintains payment plans for Individual Income Tax accounts including renewing agreements and reviewing financial statements.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
REQUIREMENTS: Associate's Degree in business, or two years of experience with tax return preparation, business ownership and operation, account research and analysis, or interpretation and application of policies, laws, rules or regulations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of: processes and procedures for tax collection; mathematics and accounting; business operations and practices; resources available for researching tax laws, rules and regulations; Excel, Word, Oracle and Outlook.
Skills in: verbal/written communication; negotiation; active listening; emotional intelligence; reading comprehension; time management; personal management; critical thinking; data entry; computer use and databases; asset discovery; skip tracing.
Ability to: communicate to express clear and concise ideas; utilize interpretive techniques to determine information sought; organize and verify tax data from computer-generated reports; set priorities; relate effectively with people representing a variety of backgrounds; interpret difficult tax programs for taxpayers; determine why a taxpayer is not in compliance and collection procedures; use independent judgment.
Equal Opportunity Employer